Looking for something?

Find it in our extensive resource library!

Smart Filters

  • Reset
  • Services

  • Who it's for

  • What it’s about

  • Format

View: 609

Download: 3

Sleep transition

Transition is not a single event, or even a series of single events. It is a gradual process of supporting you and your family through teenage years and into adulthood. The process should begin at age 14 (during your Year 9 annual review at school).

This timeline should act as a guide to help you understand what to expect at each age. The point at which you actually enter into adult services is likely to vary according to your age, your medical condition, where you live and also your personal preferences. It may also vary from service to service.

The Sheffield Children’s Sleep disorders service transition Lead Nurse is Janine Reynolds. She will support you and your family throughout your transition until you turn 16 to 19 years old. You can contact Janine by emailing scn-tr.narcolepsy@nhs.net or scn-tr.sleepnurses@nhs.net

14 to 15 years old

It is a good idea to start thinking about each of the services you receive and think about if this service would stop or change when you become an adult? Will a new service replace this one, if so, when?


Here you enter the ‘Transition’ phase. Professionals should start introducing transition, discussing at all key meetings and reviews. A transition plan can start to be created. You may want to involve your GP in your transition plans even if you have not had much involvement with them before now.


You will enter the transition phase, and can remain within Children’s social care services.


You legally are still a child until 18th birthday.

You should apply for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) if you have not already done so.

16 years


You should have the opportunity to be seen without their parents or carers for a some of your consultations (if appropriate).

If you have a learning disability a ‘Health Passport’ may be helpful when entering new services.

You can collect your own pharmacy prescriptions from the age of 16.


Depending on where you live, you may transfer to the social worker transition team.


You Child Benefit stops, except in specific circumstances, and your DLA ends. Instead, it is now time to apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

After school, you can go into full time-education at a school or college, work-based learning or part-time training.

From the age of 16, people who have a learning disability or autism and lack the relevant capacity may be affected by Liberty Protection Safeguards, and should be made aware of this.

17 years

You can be thinking about financial planning, your plans and aspirations for education, employment, living on your own, and so on. You can start telling people about these plans, as they can consider these and incorporate them during review meetings.


You should start building relationships with your GP and actively involved them in your care.

It is important to discuss your route into urgent care and inpatient care within adult hospital services.

You should begin or review your advanced care planning.

Begin applying for Continuing Healthcare Funding or Continuing Care.


Begin planning for applications for Power of Attorney or Court of Protection.

Some grants and wish-granting organisations are not available after the age of 18. It may be worth making sure you apply for these before you turn 18.

18 years


You will now be entering adult services.

You may be able to request a tour of your local adult A&E department, or an adult ward to see what these look like.


You will enter adult social care, and may be offered a Needs Assessment. You can request an assessment if you have been offered one already.

Parents and carers can request a Carers Assessment from adult social care, where appropriate.


You will legally become an adult, regardless of your mental capacity you will be considered a legal adult.

If appropriate now you should apply for Power of Attorney or Court of Protection.

Some new grants and wish-granting organisation may now be available to you at 18 years old that were not available before, so it may be worth exploring this.

Is something missing from this resource that you think should be included? Please let us know

Contact us


Please note: this is a generic information sheet relating to care at Sheffield Children’s NHS FT. These details may not reflect treatment at other hospitals. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professionals’ instructions. If this resource relates to medicines, please read it alongside the medicine manufacturer’s patient information leaflet. If this information has been translated into another language from English, efforts have been made to maintain accuracy, but there may still be some translation errors. If you are unsure about any of the guidance in this resource or have specific questions about how it relates to your child, always ask your healthcare professional for further advice.

Resource number: SLP44

Resource Type: Article

How useful did you find this resource?*


Western Bank
S10 2TH

United Kingdom

Switchboard: 0114 271 7000

Interesting Facts

We’ve got a special MRI scanner just for teddies so children can see what it’s like before they have a scan.

Help to transform our extraordinary hospital into something even better.


By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.